Saturday, February 9, 2008

A Journey Into Rationality....

Many years ago, I used to carry the guidon for christ, I was a member of the assemblies of god (John Ashcroft's old haunt), I personally lead 3 people to christ, it was very satisfying. I would like to say, then I grew up, but it was not so simple as that. My belief first started to fade as I received more education (most likely why religious despots first kill all the teachers, not the lawyers). As the years go by first to fade was my belief in christ, I was jaded by the concept that someone who had never heard of christ was doomed to a fiery eternity in hell, where is the logic of a loving god in that? At that point I still believed in a abrahamic god, not quite jewish, not quite christian. Once I started studying geology, and realize just how old the earth was (I had known 4.6 Gy, just never really dawned on me how long that really was). At that point all thought of an abrahamic god went away, and I was just left a deist, I mean, I had spent the first 20+ years of my life being trained to believe in god, it wasn’t going to go away overnight. That lasted another ten years or so, and even belief in that was strained, things were just too big, too amazing to be part of a scrutiable god, at that point I became an agnostic, the concept of god was just too big for our puny human minds to contain. My wife is a young earther, so, trying to find a way to explain that the earth is NOT young, no where near young, in fact, young is right out, I started searching the web for people better able to explain it than me. That is when I ran into people like PZ Myers, Phil Plait, Jon Voisey, and Les Jenkins. That did it, I saw for the first time just how childish belief in a diety was. Its a child’s need to be comforted by something bigger than us. _AND_ its a childish need for the concept of individuality after death. I think that is what the problem is for most deists/christians, they just can not get past the death of their individuality. So what, the universe doesn’t care. Get over it. Live your life, it’s the only one you have, live it for yourself, live it for your children, for in the end, THEY are the only form of immortality we really have.

No comments: